Thursday, April 18, 2013

Journal 9

Fasimpaur, K. (n.d.). Massive and Open. (2013). Learning and Leading With Technology, 40(6), 12-16. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-leading/digitaledition/digital-edition-march-april-2013

Summary:
A brief summary of this article includes some old terminology used in a new way. The Massive Open Online Courses originate in the college setting and are held online. Massive and open are the two terms that the authors states are debatable; open because of some MOOC's using firewalls to block access or that all are offered with no charge and massive because it does not state what number is considered massive. The courses obviously vary on content and format. This is catching the attention of the K-12 setting and many are wondering how to integrate this into  that level of education. The online world is definitely becoming a large part of education and how people attain that education as well. MOOC's are being used as a gathering place for k-12 teachers to learn about ways to expand their PLN's (Personal Learning Networks) and gain new information on how to integrate technology into their classrooms for students. 

Question One: A Massive Open Online Course is fantastic for synthesis and analysis of information, but is it a good place to nurture student's education?
Answer One:
I find MOOCs to be on the cutting-edge for students, I don't feel that it is developed enough for student use for the K-5 but perhaps it could be modified for use for 6-12 depending on the teachers preference. I think it would need highly motivated students and engaged students in order to work. Teachers would have to do a lot of prep in order to introduce this into their classrooms and have it be effective. Perhaps one day this will work but for now I feel it is best left to higher education and teaching seminars. 

Question Two: How would I use this in my classroom?
Answer Two: 
If  I were to bring this into my classroom, I would first want information as to how to protect my classroom from the dangers of cyberspace such as cyber predators and other issues pertaining to cyber safety. The first thing I would want is passwords so that this environment was secured. Perhaps I would use this to connect my classroom to a classroom elsewhere in the world to learn about their culture and customs and vice-versa. This would create a dialog and be incredibly engaging to be able to talk to a person their age in say, South Korea. I would first begin using it myself at length so that I would be able to deal with any problems that arose and make sure I developed a contact in the teacher I partnered with overseas. This MOOC has potential but I am not sure I am ready for something on this scale as far as technology is concerned perhaps I would start with a program like Greenleaf offers first and then branch out into this using some of their ideas and implementing my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment